Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Quarter 2


The activity that I will be doing this reflection on is the Chapter 5 Exam. I did very well on this test and my final percetnage was 97%. I an very proud of this grade because it has proven to me that I have improved in math very much since the Chapter 2 Exam where I had gotten 76%, a C.

The purpose of this exam was to test our skill in creating and writing linear equations using what we learned during the course of this chapter. This would help us better in life if engineering is to become our profession. Using linear equations can help us greatly so that we will be able to map and plan out blueprints of what the thing that we are engineering is.

I have learned a great many things during Chapter 5, but the main idea or concept that I have learned is how to write linear equations of our own, a subject that I had never come across before. At first it was quite hard for me to grasp the idea of the slope of a line which is "rise over run". "Rise being the amount in which the line rises, and "run" being the amount in which the lines travels (to the right). Although we had learned this two chapters before this, it still played a huge role when it came to writing linear equalities in slope-intercept form. The slope intercept form is y=mx+b. Where y is the y-coordinate, x is the x-coordinate, b is the y-intercept and m is the slope of the line. We learned to use this but in Chapter 5, we learned how to write them using word problems and other forms of questions. Once you know how to write a linear equation, you are able to model real-life situations like the revenue of a business how much time it would need to complete a certain task.

As with all other situations, there is always room for improvement, even if I get a hundred percent on a test. Achieving the same scores with other tests will be a hard task and it is the only form of improvement one can make if they are near perfect. Although I am very close to being perfect, I still have much room for improvement as I have gotten 97% where I could have gotten a hundred. This is what I will strive for in the next chapters in Algebra.

My goal this year in mathematics is to excel and be able to avoid any mistakes that are just made through my carelessness. I have improved much since my last test so I believe that I have actually followed my goal very well. The best thing I can do to avoid any careless mistakes is to check my work frequently during any tests I take. It is also useful that I check my homework as that contributes to my goal greatly because I become accustomed to checking my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment